Tuesday, July 29, 2008

42 Hours = Bad Day

After 42 hours on a plane or sitting in the airport at JFK Ben and I finally made it home. Talk about a BAD, BAD, BAD day!

Ben and I though we were being smart when we decided to take the red-eye home from our vacation. Leaving us with more time with family and then getting home in enough time to get a full days rest before heading back to work. Well...as my mother always said. Thinking and knowing are two very different things.

We left Utah at about 11pm on Saturday after getting back from camping. We had hoped we could sleep on the plane but you know how that goes. Towards the end of our flight the pilot informed us that there was a storm at JFK and we were out of gas so we would make an emergency landing somewhere to refuel and then get back in the air. Well, that was great but it left us missing our connecting flight. Please keep in mind that it was 6:30 in the morning.

Once we arrived at the airport they let us know that the next available flight would be at 3:30 in the afternoon. Yipee! It would have been more bearable if the JFK airport was not as DISGUSTING as it was. I think I would have preferred a train station it was so dirty, stinky and freezing cold!

Well..the story gets worse along with the weather. Flights were being canceled left and right and the ground crew could not work outside because of the lightning so no planes could be fueled to leave and no planes were coming in. Yipee again!

We waited nervously as flights were being canceled left and right. I was in a worse mood once they informed me that if our flight was canceled we wouldn't be able to get out till the next day and they wouldn't put us up in a hotel since it was weather related but that I could sleep on the floor. GREAT! Me along with all the stains, trash, dirt and who knows what other diseases could all sleep like one big happy family on the airport floor. I was all warm and fuzzy inside let me tell you.

Well needless to say the weather finally improved and we were able to get out of JFK (hopefully never to return) on our flight home around 7:30pm. Interesting note to this lovely story is that we had a plane all along but no crew that could fly it. That is why we waited for hours on end. Don't ask me how that happened because truthfully I really don't care. It just plain sucked. Now mind you we have been up for about 34 plus hours now.

I thought that not much could go wrong after we were on the plane but again that is what I get for thinking. (is anyone reading this feel like they are in a nightmare). Once we landed the pilot yet again informed us that we didn't have a gate to get off at because we had to wait in line. So as we sat on the plane for another half hour I was about ready to go postal. Thank goodness this wonderful journey came to an end. At least our luggage arrived and we were able to make it home about midnight.

I know things happen and I can roll with the punches (most of the time) but I am extremely dissatisfied with JetBlue. Their grumpy, unhelpful staff has made me think again as to whether we will fly them again. I am just happy to be home and to be catching up on sleep.

We will post pictures from our vacation when I am a little more rested but we are excited to share our great trip and the fun we had minus the airport.

Till then!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh my goodness! I cant believe this! I mean, this must have been horrible. I would have gone insane!! I hope you are all well rested now!