Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Cha-Ching $$$$

With the economy being what it is I know that people have been looking for ways to save money. Me included. Now, a few weeks ago I went to Utah and my sister-in-law Katie taught me some FABULOUS money saving tips that you can do no matter where you live. (thanks, Katie I owe you) Ben is very excited since I just cut our grocery bill more than in half and I have been getting more groceries and building up my food storage at the same time. I am so excited at how well it has been going I have been sharing with everyone I know. Below is one of my latest examples.
This is from my trip to Albertson's on Monday.
4- 12 packs of Pepsi
1- Digiorno Pizza
4- Boxes of Cereal
4- Boxes of Pizza Rolls
4- Ears of corn
2- Boxes of Suddenly Salad
1- Box of Granola Bars
4- Boxes of Yoplait Plus yogurt
2- Bags of Chex Mix
16 lbs of Meat
3 lbs of Bacon
Total was $34.16
I have two parties in the next 2 weeks. I am taking drinks to one. Hence, the Pepsi and a pasta salad to the other. My pasta salad only cost me .70 and the soda cost $2.00
Last night I did my produce run and what would normally have cost $67.00 cost $25.42 by the time I was done.
This is a pretty simple way of shopping. I will admit the first time takes some time but after that it is pretty fast and easy. I have also learned how to get freebies for lunch and dinner out. Anyone want to learn? Just let me know I am more than HAPPY to help.
Please go to my sister-in-laws blog. She and her sisters keep it updated with tips for food storage, some great links for saving money and some YUMMY recipes. Recipes that they have tried and liked. It also allows you to use your food storage. I personally recommend trying the Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies. (way, way yummy and you can't even tell they are whole wheat) I would also try the Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas and the Wingers Copy Cat sauce for sticky fingers.
One more thing, for you Kashi Brand users. That is one of my most expensive things when I shop. Well with my new way of shopping I have got my Kashi cereal for $1.00 a box and my Kashi bars for $1.50 a box. Oh! Don't you just love saving money?

3 comments:

mom2beachbums said...

Oh wow Jeanne! Totally something at the forefront of my mind these days. I just so want to shop better!!! I will have to read your SIL's blog. And I'm so sorry about your sweet Lucky! He had such a great little story and was truly lucky when you and Ben adopted him. Those pictures are so sweet!

Ashley said...

I am so going to have to visit your sister's blog after this! I'm very interested in hearing about saving money!

Becky J. said...

Wow! I'm way impressed, and I'd love to learn, but I don't know if I want to put in the time to do it right. I consider myself a pretty savvy shopper already, but I know I could get things cheaper. I'm glad you're doing it! Maybe one of these days I will hop on that bandwagon, too!